Monday 29 October 2012

New York! New York!

PS   I know that the date of this post will be confusing.  I am behind with the blog. Actually about 2 weeks behind!! Apologies!  In light of the current situation and Hurricane Sandy I will make every endeavour to bring 'you all' up to speed quickly.

We stayed at Cuddebackville, NY for 2 nights. Spent a day doing chores - washing, cleaning, paperwork.

I was also continuing a personal battle with public bathrooms! I have always had an aversion to public change rooms. At home I prefer to go to the beach in my bathers (yes - Trevor is reminding me that it is only once or twice a year) and then drive home in wet bathers. Imagine how I felt when I realised that for 12 months I would have to run the gauntlet of the public bathroom! I have tried. In fact some of the bathrooms in RV parks are very nice;  one the other day had a heated floor!!  On the other hand some of them are a bit ordinary. Then there is the problem of how to dry yourself and at the same time not put any part of your body on the floor including your feet! In fact how do you manage to shower and not put the soap or flannel anywhere but in your hand. How do you get your track pants on without putting your feet on the floor or at most ... standing on one leg?Some showers are timed; you put your money in and then race to get the shower done in the time you have. There is also the constant struggle with  privacy!!! And you think this is all easy???? I far prefer to use the shower in the RV.  Although a bit small it is lovely. Trevor only has to say  'I guess they are OK'  for me to stay in our own bathroom.

At  Cuddebackville I decided to use the public bathrooms.  Trevor said they were great! There were only a few RV's in the park and not many people. But they had me fooled.  The toilet was blocked and the door would not lock in the first one;  there was no hot water in the second so back to the first. But the hot water ran out before I had rinsed off the hair conditioner; the light went out mid shower as I hadn't turned the light timer far enough; then a man walked in as I was dressing!!









Trevor spent the day working out how we could, most economically, spend some time in New York. He has come to the conclusion that the best way is to drive in!!  We will then have our own accommodation. We will save not only on bus/train fares but also a hotel for say 2 or 3 nights plus the cost of an RV park for the motorhome.  Too easy! Has he forgotten that he was never ever going to drive anywhere near New York City???? He's determined and has even booked the closest RV park to New York City, the Liberty Harbor Marina and RV Park in Jersey City, just a ferry ride across the Hudson River from Lower Manhatten!

Delawere River







We left the Deerpark RV park at 10am.  It was cold. Minus 2 degrees minimum, but it had warmed to 5 degreesC.  We crossed into Pennsylvania at Port Jervis.  We then crossed into New Jersey at the Delawere River onto Hwy 206S.
New Jersey has an industrial image earned largely by its manufacturing and railroad towns of Newark and Hoboken. But outside the industrial corridor that lies across the Hudson River from New York City, New Jersey is a gentle country of green and orderly small towns, dairy farms, rolling hills, pine forests and white sandy beaches along the Atlantic Ocean. It is quite beautiful with the countryside clothed it fall colours. Neither of us say anything about what is to come.

We then travel on Hwy 15 to I-80E, a 4 lane highway.  It is now midday. The traffic is moderate but becoming serious.  We are seeing road signs to New York! Off  I-80E to 287, then 24 and then I-78.  Decisions!
We have a problem at the toll plaza; we get in the wrong lane and cars and trucks are swerving around us as we manoevre to the right toll! ****! ****!   All sorted and we are on the New Jersey Turnpike to Jersey City.  The streets are fairly tight (narrow) as we make our way to the RV park. However the position of the RV park could not be better. We are so close to everything.  The Statue of Liberty is almost within touching distance!
I take my hat off to Trevor.  He did it all so well.  There was just a moment - I think when we were on the first Interstate with 5 lanes in each direction and he looked at me and said "Oh shit....!"  And of course the profanities at the toll! But we are here!













No comments:

Post a Comment