Sunday 11 August 2013

Our Last Day in New York

We have a late breakfast at a diner on the corner of 3rd and 31st and then take the subway to Central Park. A parade is about to start uptown along Fifth Avenue - lots of people around, many of them in traditional costumes.

The annual National Puerto Rican Day parade is held on the 2nd Sunday in June in honour of all people of Puerto Rican birth or heritage residing in the US. It is one of the largest parades in New York City with almost 2 million spectators which makes it also one of the largest outdoor events in the country.

Carnegie Hall is on my list of places to visit but it is closed for tours. I invite the others to join me on a walk along the High Line, with no takers. So I take the subway to Greenwich Village by myself. I know I sound a little like The Little Red Hen ... an apt simile for it is an amazing place to wander and I keep my experiences all to myself!!









The High Line is a 1 mile linear park built on a 1.45 mile section of the former elevated New York Central Railroad spur called the West Side Line which runs along the lower west side of Manhattan. It has been redesigned and planted as an aerial greenway.



The High Line's naturalised plantings are inspired by the self-seeded landscape that grew on the disused tracks.


































I walk the High Line from beginning to end and back. It is very crowded - it is Sunday after all and everyone is out in the afternoon sun. But it is a wonderful place to be.

There are new and often unexpected views of the city and the Hudson River with every turn on the walk.




It would have been nice to have company - how do you feel Trevor, Jo and Kerry?
But I would not have missed the experience of walking the High Line for anything.
When I got back to our hotel Trevor was asleep! Keep up!!

















The couple below were enjoying Sunday afternoon on their deck but not as much as those who spied them.







We have been invited to a bar and tapas restaurant in the West Village - the Aria - by the Perth swimmers and their supporters.
An evening of celebration! The Aria is an interesting place with a dining room downstairs. The 'cellar' had one long dining table - what a great atmosphere. The food was good too!



We leave about 11pm knowing the alarm is set for 3.30am and the shuttle booked for 4.30am for our flight back home to the motorhome parked up at the Denver International Airport.

Thanks for your company Kerry and Jo. We look forward to doing it again sooner than later.



No comments:

Post a Comment