Monday 11 February 2013

More drama!!!!

We spend 3 nights at the Colonia del Rey Caravan Park in Corpus Christi. We don't really do the area justice. In hindsight we should have rented a car to explore fully. A couple of the places we missed were Padre Island - a protected National Park with 66 miles of natural seashore said to be the longest undeveloped stretch of barrier island in the world and the King Ranch - the home of American ranching and a National Historical Landmark.
However we enjoy our stay very much. It is nice to take a break from moving; chat with other travellers and generally rest!!!

Our first day is taken up with housekeeping; cleaning windows, vacuuming, cleaning and defrosting the frig - it's amazing how satisfying it is to have a clean 'house'.  I try to blog in the afternoon but the wifi is too slow and I give up.  A couple of sudokus are far more satisfying. The day has gone without us quite knowing where??

Some benefits from housework
I am walking in the mornings, and doing some weights.  At last!!

The next day we plan to go into the city. We are told that there is a bus. We wait outside the RV park for 45 minutes and .. it turns up! We travel for 40 minutes on the bus to a terminal where there is a further wait. We have to change buses. As the crow flies we haven't advanced very far at all. After about an hour and a half we give up.
We are close to a mall  - change of plans! A chance for me to have a hair cut. Big mistake.  I find a  hairdressers; yes they take 'walk ups'. Then I find out it is a teaching salon!  What can I do? I am draped up with a cape .. a captive.
Hopefully it will grow quickly but never to be the same again I'm afraid!

We catch a bus back to the RV park. Then ... the worst thing to happen!  I find that my wallet is not in my handbag! It can't happen twice surely. When we go over the day's events the only conclusion is that I left the wallet on a chair beside my handbag when we had coffee in the mall.
I ring the mall and - they have the wallet! Someone handed it in. The girl advises that the cash is there (the right amount) and cards.
Unbelievable!! What amazing good fortune after such stupidity on my part.

The next morning we are at the mall at 9.30 am. waiting for it to open at 10. We are all packed up and on our way to San Antonio. Yes the wallet is there intact. I want to give a reward but it is refused. The office girl doesn't know who handed the wallet in. I still can't believe my luck.

Then we are off on I-37 north.  It doesn't take long to clear the city traffic. We are soon in the 'bush'.
It is quite windy but it is mostly a tail wind. The country is vast; open space as far as the eye can see. It's a bit like our station country with  scrubby vegetation which looks too dense to hold stock;  we can also see windmills so there must be something in there. Dry creeks and riverbeds. The difference to home is the number of trucks on the road!










Country highways and all those trucks.
Hurricane evacuation route symbol.
Not easy to photograph while driving!



























We arrive at the Travelers World RV Park in San Antonio in the early afternoon. We book for 3 nights. Trevor has also booked a rental car for the weekend. We get a free upgrade which is nice.

The RV Park has happy hour each Friday night; it is great to catch up with other people. They are all very friendly. Trevor and I sat together but were quickly separated. The men all sit together and the women sit at separate tables. As one girl said: "We spend all day every day with our husbands; we need a break ..".

We are offered tickets to ice hockey - that night at 7.30. We jump at the chance.  Tim and Nancy take us to a game between the San Antonio Rampage and the Texas Stars. What a night! Such a fast and physical sport. Tons of people at a great venue - the AT&T Center.






No comments:

Post a Comment