Monday 12 November 2012

Still in the country!

WELL!!! This post is causing a few headaches! I posted it a couple of days ago. I then went back in to add a caption to some of the photos ... and lost the lot!
Exhibits at the Grand Ole Opry
Tonight I have started again.  I have completed about half a page with photos and then lost the lot again??  Perhaps I am not meant to tell you about what we were up to on 1 November!

We woke to a cold morning ... really cold! 28 degrees F (-4C)  Impressed? There was frost on the lawn.
We hired a car to further explore Nashville. .
First we went to Music Valley and the (new) Grand Ole Opry. It was closed in preparation for a Christmas Spectacular starring the Rockettes. The Grand Ole Opry goes back to the Ryman for the winter months. The gift shop was open - its amazing what items can be produced in the name of country music!














We then went down town into Nashville. Paid $10.00 to park for 2 hours. We walked around the District - Broadway and the Honky Tonk area. Stopped in at a couple of saloons. There was live music in every bar and saloon. They all sound so good. They are trying to break into the big time I guess.

We then revisited some of the places we visited yesterday on the tour of Nashville.

Centennial Park and the Parthenon - the world's only full scale replica of the ancient Greek temple in Athens, Greece. First built in 1897 for the Tennessee Centennial and International Exposition the pavilion was constructed as a temporary structure to house an art exhibition - 1,172 pieces of art from all over the world.
The building was so popular that it was retained after the Exposition.

In 1920 the City authorized that the structure be reconstructed as a landmark using permanent materials. A complete replica of the original Greek temple, inside and out. It re -opened on 21 May 1931.



In 1982 a statue of Athena, goddess of wisdom, prudent warfare and the useful arts?? was commissioned. It was unveiled in 1990. It is quite amazing - it stands 42 feet 10 inches tall and is constructed of gypsum cement with chopped fibreglass reinforcing a steel frame. When you walk inside the Parthenon you are immediately confronted by Athena - it takes up the height of the Parthenon.





















Athena was gilded and painted in 2002 with 8 pounds of 23.75 carat gold. Nike the goddess of victory perches on the right hand of Athena and stands 6 feet 4 inches tall.

A collection of casts of the Parthenon pediment fragments from the British museum are also housed at the Parthenon.

Centennial Park marks the end of the Natchez Trace Parkway which travels through 444 miles, 3 states and 10,000 years of North American history. Originally a series of Indian trails, the Natchez Trace Parkway links Nashville with Natchez in Mississippi.

Bicentennial Park - consists of a granite map, a walkway featuring the 95 counties in Tennessee, 31 fountains representing the major rivers of Tennessee and a history wall, carillon and one hundred time capsules to be opened in 2096.






We went back down town and walked some more - it was a lovely evening. We had dinner, and a show, at the Wild Horse Saloon.
Tried Fried Green Pickles - they were great!

Parking this time was $10.00 for the entire evening. Unfortunately we didn't last that long!


Friday was again cold - 4 degrees.  We were up and off early, without breakfast.  We have to return the rental car and have 200 miles to drive to Memphis.
It was all wrong from the start. We were in peak hour traffic on a major Interstate and I was following in the rental car.  One minute the RV was in front of me and the next it was disappearing off an exit and I was sailing on in a middle lane (of a 4 lane highway) at max speed toward Nashville! Shit, shit and double shit!
As soon as I was able I moved to the right lanes and took an exit. I then continued to drive until I could pull over. I had no idea where I was. The gps and maps were in the RV. 
I got out of the car and approached some houses - I could see a lady getting into her car. I asked her where I was! I think she thought I was a bit mad.  Anyway, Trevor then rang- where are you? He would have liked to give me directions to get back on the Interstate but I was not going anywhere!!!
I was never more pleased to see him and the RV - he tracked me from the address I gave him - turned out I wasn't too far from the rental car place - as the crow flies. I followed him like glue back to the rental car office and happily resumed my seat as navigator.


We had a beautiful day for driving. We stopped at about noon for something to eat and a coffee. A tight carpark made even tighter as the spaces between the RV and the nearest cars were taken up while we were in getting lunch.

We then stopped at a Rest Area to have lunch. The sun was so warm! It was a lovely break after a fairly tortuous morning.




The Cumberland River







The trees are starting to lose their leaves








A field of cotton












We are approaching Memphis about  3.00pm.  Again a wrong turn off the highway and a struggle to find somewhere to turn around. Finally we are on the Elvis Presley Parkway on our way to the Graceland RV Park and Campgound.

It was so good to stop!
We enjoyed a beer sitting outside and then dinner at the Heartbreak Hotel.  Well ... where else?










No comments:

Post a Comment