Saturday 10 November 2012

The Battle of Bull Run

Taken by me while following in the rental car!
On Monday 22 October we left Gettysburg, heading out on Hwy 15 south.
Just before noon we crossed the state line into Maryland. We are heading for Centreville, Virginia; 36 miles later we cross the state line into Virginia.



It was a nice day for driving. We stopped at Leesburg, VA for  shopping, a coffee and fuel.  It is always nice to find things close together. When there is a large shopping car park it is even better!

The traffic becomes heavier the closer we get to Washington DC. We are not going into Washington DC as we have previously spent time there. Our destination is quite close to Washington however and even though we are taking lesser highways we are now on a 3 lane highway; signs saying Dulles International Airport.











We turn off 28 one exit early ...
blame the GPS? Not this time. A bit of nervousness and indecision.  Then we are on to Bull Run Post Office Road, then Bull Run Drive. At last we arrive at the Bull Run Regional Park RV Campground.
The next day we visit the Manassas National Battlefield Park and Visitors centre.

My fascination with Bull Run began a long time ago when I first heard the 'Letter to Sarah', written by Sullivan Ballou, an officer in the Union army in the Civil War. He fought in the First Battle of Bull Run. If you get a chance to You Tube this recording then I think you will agree with me that it is a most  loving and sincere writing. I will attach a copy of the letter below but it is much better when you hear it set to music.

There were 2 major battles fought a few miles north of Manassas along a creek known as Bull Run.
The Union army named the battle 'Bull Run' after the geographical point of the creek; the Confederate army named the battle 'Manassas' after the closest town.

The First Battle of Manassas/Bull Run - 21 July 1861- General McDowell's army were marching out to begin the long awaited campaign to capture Richmond and end the war. It was anticipated that the war would be decided quickly.  Citizens and congressmen with their picnic baskets followed the army into the field to watch what all expected to be a colourful show! The battle was the first major land battle of the war. The inexperienced confederates routed an equally inexperienced union force. Confederate General Thomas J Jackson earned the name Stonewall for his role in the fighting. 900 dead.

The Second Battle of Manassas/Bull Run was a much bloodier affair - more than 3000 dead - and again a confederate victory.


Stonewall Jackson Monument



Bull Run




So we went looking for Sullivan Ballou! We found the creek - Bull Run - and then the cemetery where he was originally buried. We  learned that his body was later exhumed and returned to his home town in Providence, Rhode Island.



Letter to Sarah


July 14, 1861
Camp Clark, Washington

My very dear Sarah:
The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days—perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write again, I feel impelled to write a few lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more . . .

I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly American Civilization now leans on the triumph of the Government and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and sufferings of the Revolution. And I am willing—perfectly willing—to lay down all my joys in this life, to help maintain this Government, and to pay that debt . . .

Sarah my love for you is deathless, it seems to bind me with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of Country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me unresistibly on with all these chains to the battle field.


The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to God and to you that I have enjoyed them for so long. And hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when, God willing, we might still have lived and loved together, and seen our sons grown up to honorable manhood, around us. I have, I know, but few and small claims upon Divine Providence, but something whispers to me—perhaps it is the wafted prayer of my little Edgar, that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. If I do not my dear Sarah, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battle field, it will whisper your name. Forgive my many faults and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless and foolish I have often times been! How gladly would I wash out with my tears every little spot upon your happiness . . .

But, O Sarah! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the gladdest days and in the darkest nights . . . always, always, and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath, as the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by. Sarah do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again . . .

Sullivan Ballou was killed a week later at the first Battle of Bull Run, July 21, 1861.


Isn't it beautiful ... and so sad!!

From the first battle at Manassas/Bull Run to General Lee's surrender at Appomattox, more battles were fought in Virginia than in any other state.

So we travelled further south down Highway 29. The Shenandoah National Park is ahead. We can't wait to get into the Smokies in Tennessee. First though, we have to get to the end of the Civil War!

On 24 October we leave Misty Mountain RV park and head south again on Highway 29. The roadside is lovely...still showing off fall colours although there are not as many deep reds. The road becomes a little more hilly; now 2 lanes each way. Mumford & Sons on the radio. We go off 29 at Lynchburg, into old down town looking for coffee. The streets get narrow ... too narrow and we beat a hasty retreat. We take Hway 460 to Appomattox.







Appomattox Court House National Historical Park is 3 miles east of the town of Appomattox. This is where, on 9 April 1865 Robert E Lee, commanding general of the Army of Northern Virginia, surrendered his men to Ulysses S.Grant, general-in-chief of all United States forces. Though several Confederate armies under different commanders remained in the field, Lee's surrender signalled the end of the Southern states' attempt to create a separate nation.
  
Where 'surrender' was signed
The terms of the surrender were quite simple; officers were allowed to keep their side arms and any confederate soldier who owned a horse was allowed to take it home with him. Grant asked only that the confederates pledge not to take up arms against the United States.
The generous terms began the process of reunification.

The rest is history...

Lincoln was inaugurated for a second term as President in March 1865. He was assassinated on 14 April 1865 just days after the surrender at Appomattox.







As we drove down the road from Appomattox we were quickly reminded of the current struggle in the presidential election.

No comments:

Post a Comment